Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Piece of Land

There once was a boy who grew up working, fishing, and hunting on the plains of Nebraska. He loved the open space almost as much as he loved his family. In high school, he talked to his friends about girls, cars, and where he would like to live some day. Some of his friends wanted to move to exotic, faraway lands where they would drive boats to impress scantily clad girls who loved all men equally. Others wanted to drive dog sleds and hunt the wild lands of the far north where the permafrost would make girls want to cuddle in their bear hides. But this boy wanted a piece of land much like the one he grew up on.

After high school, he tried living in the city. It wasn't what he wanted. He tried moving near the great park called Yellowstone. He still had to live in the city. He traveled to Mexico and Alaska, but he only wanted to be at home in Nebraska.

Finally, he met a girl who confused him so much that he couldn't help but love her. They dated for a while, went on a wild road trip, and lived together for three years. He loved her, but something still restricted his happiness: they rented a place in town.

On his twenty-fifth birthday, he visited his parents. His dad knew of a house for sale that was out in the country and right on the river. The boy wanted that house - or at least the land it was on.

He went home that night and begged his girlfriend to go to the bank with him. He was so excited that he paced all over their tiny rented space as he talked. He had to have that house.

If you haven't guessed by now, the boy in this story is my boyfriend, Dustin Selden (iamafiend@hotmail.com). We're not married, we've never had a serious conversation about buying a house before tonight, and I haven't really decided what I think about this whole situation because, through my own series of unfortunate events, I own a house in North Carolina. I am not the type to commit to something as big as buying a house for the sole purpose of making someone happy, but I'm not the type to totally crush the dreams of someone I care about either.

I hope I get some good comments because I haven't figured out how to wrap my head around this one yet.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help you with your life - though I recommend renting a house in the country before you buy one. My wife and I rented two farm houses early in our marriage.

    As for writing, the first two thirds of this work great up until you break voice. Try talking about "the girl" the way you talk about "the boy."

    ReplyDelete