Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Magic of Fireworks

I recently discovered that a decent fireworks show can even make people I really dislike somewhat tolerable...at least until the fireworks show ends.

On the fourth I watched the Fonner Park fireworks show in Grand Island, Nebraska with my boyfriend and a bunch of people I only know through him.  They're not all bad, but one of the guys is so obnoxious that I'm typically thinking about peeling the skin off my face when I have to hear his racist "jokes" and his twisted childhood memories.

How did fireworks make this jerk tolerable for half an hour?

They drowned him out!  It was really easy to ignore his unwanted commentary with large blasts of controlled artillery going off nearby.  The booming industrial grade fireworks were like a magical static cancellation device.

I only wish they had lasted more than half an hour.  Consumer grade fireworks just don't have the same power as a big, booming light show.